Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Blog 3

    First, I would like to mention how completely inaccurate I was with my assumptions of Gatsby.  Within a few short pages of chapter three, I learn that Gatsby quite frequently hosts parties.  However, many "came and went without having met Gatsby at all..." (Fitzgerald, 41).  Before, I predicted that Gatsby, whose full name is Jay Gatsby, was a mystery to most New York; a loner.  Though I still have yet to discover his full, true character, I really think that Gatsby is just not truly known, but not a complete hermit who excludes himself from the world.

   When Nick attends one of Gatsby's large parties, he realizes that he, along with most of the other guests, have never even seen Gatsby.  As the party goes on, some guests state rumors they have heard of Gatsby.  Reading this, I realize that no one really knows Gatsby.  I believe this because he purposely sets himself aside from other people making it nearly impossible for others to become close to him.  The character of Gatsby reminds me of Rhett Butler, the leading male character in Gone With the Wind.  Rhett, a wealthy Southern man, first presents himself as a bombastic socialite, but really is one who lingers in the dark.  Like Gatsby, many tell negative rumors of Mr. Butler's past.  The two characters, although frequent party goers, remain mysteries to most.

No comments:

Post a Comment