Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"Toads" by Philip Larkin: Symbolism

    Upon reading the intriguing poem, Toads, I notice the author's great usage of symbolism.  In my personal opinion, toads are vile creatures that are quite revolting.  Author Philip Larkin crafts a symbol of a toad to create a representation of work.  With this, I assume the narrator has an extremely negative view of work as he describes it as a "sickening poison" (Larkin).  The narrator of this piece time and time again mentions how this toad has placed a huge burden on his life.  The toad symbolizes the stress experience by work.  This stress brings out sheer jealousy, anger, hatred, and hopeless.  This symbol inhibits the narrator from pursuing his dreams.  I find it confusing how this symbol operates.  This toad of work instead of providing from the narrator financially and bring happiness, it only drags him down.  Philip Larkin uses a toad to symbolism the stress dealt with in work.

No comments:

Post a Comment