Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Blog 10


    Through the entirety of The Great Gatsby, I fell that the narrator, Nick Carraway, is unfortunately caught in the middle of everyone's drunken affairs.  I believe F. Scott Fitzgerald portrays the character of Nick as harmless and unchanging in order to navigate through the story.  Moreover, while other characters change, Mr. Carraway remains true to himself, making the flow of the novel travel smoothly.  I place Nick far above others in this sense.  First, Nick has the bravery and ambition to relocate to New York in hope of learning the bond business.  While in New York, Nick quite frequently find himself in many social situations.  For example, Nick goes meeting Jordan Baker at the Buchanan residence, to running into Gatsby, his mysterious neighbor, at a luxurious party.  From there, Nick Carraway is dragged into all of Gatsby's events, and eventually is roped into setting up a tea date with Gatsby and the married Daisy Buchanan.  Then, Nick is present when Tom Buchanan learns of his wife's love affair with Jay Gatsby.  Later, Nick has to bear with the knowledge of Daisy killing Myrtle Wilson, and then hold in his hatred of Gatsby for thinking only of Daisy's reaction.  Nick refers to Gatsby when thinking, "I disliked him so much by this time that I didn't find it necessary to tell him he way wrong" (Fitzgerald, 143).  With this, I believe that Nick truly is just a bystander to all the drama that surrounds him.

No comments:

Post a Comment