In the beginning of chapter five, I find Gatsby's eagerness to please Nick to be very annoying. Although agitating, I believe this notion reveals much about the true character of Jay Gatsby. With his expensive mansion, imported luxuries, and indulging lifestyle, it is easy for one to forget that Gatsby is, in fact, just another human being with human qualities. This scene shows Gatsby, not as a sophisticated man, but as a nervous, awkward youth. When asked what day would work best for his reunion with Daisy, he replies, "I don't want to put you to any trouble" (Fitzgerald, 82). This statement both displays a technique Gatsby uses to get Nick to plan a tea event and shows Gatsby's unsure personality. Even though Gatsby means well, he will do absolutely anything to achieve his true desires. For example, Jay Gatsby offers to cut Nick's grass and further goes on to present him with a promising business opportunity. Although a kind proposal, it has an opposite effect on Mr. Carraway. Instead, Nick feels almost insulted by the suggestion. I learn that while others think Mr. Jay Gatsby is a well thought-out, mighty, superior, man, he has his flaws. This scene proves itself to be truly significant in understanding the character of Gatsby.
No comments:
Post a Comment