Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Blog 6

   While reading more of The Great Gatsby, I begin to understand the working of Mrs. Daisy Buchanan.  I realize now that Daisy's happiness is neither genuine and authentic.  At the beginning, I took Daisy ignoring her husband's infidelity as a sign that she is unwilling to accept the act because it means her love is not good enough.  However, behind Mrs. Buchanan's mask is sheer numbness towards the life she lives.  When the short lived affair between Daisy and Gatsby ceased, I believe an extremely distraught Daisy, married the first man who came by, which happened to be Tom Buchanan.  Because of the unwanted schism between the two, the pair live their lives in ways that they feel best.  Daisy endures a miserable life with a husband who neither loving or faithful.  Jay Gatsby lurks in the shadows of New York watching Daisy from afar.  I predict that after two reunite at Nick's invitation to tea, they will realize they still love each other and have an affair.  I assume this because at a time "they were so engrossed in each other", and now they both lead extremely unhappy lives (Fitzgerald, 74).  Eventually, I would expect Daisy to leave Tom Buchanan and pull Gatsby out of the shadows.  Ultimately, I think Nick's tea invitation will have a very positive outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment