Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Blog 8

   Through the whole novel, the audience receives a very negative image of Mr. Tom Buchanan.  To start Tom is a wealthy man  fortunate will a loving wife and daughter.  This blessed man chooses to be unfaithful to his spouse and even flaunts his mistress to his friends.  Now, halfway through the piece, I still maintain a disgusted attitude towards Tom Buchanan.  First, I would like to note that Tom's infidelity is known by his loyal wife.  Daisy, though miserably married, has remained faithful all these years to her dishonest spouse.  Then, when Daisy finds true happiness in the company of Gatsby, Tom continuously denies that happiness insisting that she did not have a good time.  I feel this shows Tom Buchanan's selfish ways.  This cheating man expects his wife to accept his mistress, but is unwilling to face the idea that his wife is, not even being unfaithful, but is simply having a good time with another man.  I have a feeling that Daisy will eventually stick up for herself and "obliterate four years (of marriage)" (Fitzgerald, 109).  When this does happen, I believe Tom will be absolutely furious.  The relationship being pursued by Daisy and Gatsby will most likely lead to the well-deserved downfall of Tom Buchanan.

No comments:

Post a Comment