Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Blog 4

     Honestly, the relationship between the two opposite characters, Nick and Jordan, makes perfect sense despite their differing personalites.  Upon moving to New York, Nick seems to, other than seeing an occasional friend, be very lonely.  This feeling of oneness causes Nick to aimlessly drive the bright streets to "pick out romantic women from the crod and imagine that in a few minutes (he) was going to enter into their lives..." (Fitzgerald, 56).  To fill this "haunting loneliness", I believe Nick chooses to spend his time with the well-know and haughty Jordan Baker.  Jordan appears to be a character who does not let the everyday routine of life control her.  I believe Miss Baker's spunk and unique outlook is what most attracts Nick to her.  But, later in the chapter, Nick pieces together that Jordan cheats at golf, the game that has made her name known.  It is truly shocking to me that even after learning this knowledge, Nick goes on to admit that he may even love this rule breaker.  I assume I was so taken back by this because of my view of Nick.  I think of Nick as an ambitious, considerate man, deserving of the best.  Unlike Jordan, Nick plays by the rules.  Also, this layed back man, unlike Jordan, is not well-known and does not put forth much effort to become so.  Because of this, I think Nick longs for someone to bring exitement into his life.  For Jordan, she avoids anyone who will make her feel inferior.  Although the pair are total opposites, I definitely can see why they both spend time with one another.  The reasoning may be selfish, but still, I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment