Thursday, August 9, 2012
The Great Gatsby: Blog 15
Overall, I honestly genuinely enjoyed The Great Gatsby. I may even list this novel in my top favorite pieces of literature! First, I would consider the work one large, drunken affair with greed and desire. From the start, Gatsby hosts enormous parties where hundreds of people stay until the early hours of dawn. Then, right off the bat, the audience learns of Tom's infidelity and how he carelessly flaunts his mistress around town. Next, although Tom and Daisy Buchanan are both extremely wealthy beings, "they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made..." (Fitzgerald, 179). And then, the lovely Jordan Baker, turns out to be a complete rule breaker at the game of golf. The novel ends with George Wilson, a sad man who is cheated on by his wife, murdering Jay Gatsby and then taking his own life.I really think that Nick is the only sane character in the novel! This interesting piece does not end happily, but simply just ends. I actually really like the ending of The Great Gatsby because it goes to show that nothing good will come from greed or desire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment