Saturday, July 28, 2012
The Great Gatsby: Blog 2
After reading the eventful second chapter of The Great Gatsby, I have come to develop extremely negative feelings for Tom Buchanan. I am truly taken back by the fact that Tom, a wealthy man with a bright wife and youthful daughter, could have a mistress. It further frustrates me when Tom Buchanan insists that Nick meet his girl. So, if I am correct, Tom is public with his infidelity to his wife. Right before meeting this girl, Tom takes Nick to the residency of Mr. Wilson, the husband of his mistress. After being very rude and condescending to Mr. Wilson, Buchanan proceeds to stare at his wife as enters the room. I felt like the author made the entrance of Mrs. Wilson melodramatic, but then goes on to say that she "contained no gleam of beauty" (Fitzgerald, 25). This made absolutely no sense to me. Why would Mr. Buchanan's mistress be less unattractive than his wife? This usually is not a characteristic of a mistress! Through this is entire chapter I am wondering why Nick, the cousin of Tom's wife, does not scold or tell off Mr. Buchanan. I did not like the Tom Buchanan in the first chapter, but now I have lost respect for this character.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment