Friday, July 13, 2012
The House of Mirth: Blog 8
While evaluating the characters in The House of Mirth, I predict that Bertha Dorset, as a minor character, will play a major role in the fate of Lily Bart. From the beginning, Bertha loomed in the shadows, a creature consumed with jealousy towards the beauty of which Lily possesses. I conclude that it is because of this envious attitude that compels Bertha Dorset to sabotage any chance of happiness and satisfaction for Lily. Moreover, Lily's one true desire is to achieve a wealthy life for herself. Miss Bart's way to accomplish this luxurious lifestyle was through marriage to millionaire, Percy Gryce. From a distance, Bertha weaves her way between the two and introduces Mr. Gryce to the equally wealthy, Evie Van Osburgh. This devious and unnecessary scheme put Lily in a state of outrage as Evie Osburgh already has a great fortune of her own and no real need for the riches of Mr. Percy Gryce. Finding that it was Bertha who introduced the newly engaged, Lily trudges on, terribly upset that her quest for wealth has not reached its end.
Although Miss Bart continues on, I believe she has hate in her heart and vengeance on her mind. I assume this because Lily purchases the stack of letters written to Lawrence Seldon by Bertha Dorset. "And into what hands Bertha Dorset's secret has been delivered..." (Wharton, 84). These letters could be used to potentially ruin the marriage of the Dorset. Without a husband, no one will be financially providing for Bertha and she will struggling, which, in Lily's opinion, is the ultimate sign of disgrace. However, I predict that if Lily uses these letters as revenge on Bertha, she could eventually lose the love of Mr. Seldon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment