Friday, July 6, 2012

The House of Mirth: Blog 3

     Upon reading the next few chapters, I sense that Edith Wharton includes minor details to foreshadow the future of Miss Lily Barth.  As Lily Bart enjoys herself in the company of the super rich, but incredibly boring Mr. Gryce, it seems as though she has found the perfect man who will provide her with a lavish lifestyle.  In my opinion, I believe that Mr. Gryce would be a decent husband for although "he is a bore", he displays humbleness about millions.  "...he thought it a very materialistic society; there were times when he was frightened by the talk of the men and the looks of the ladies..." (Wharton, 41).  So, Gryce could very well influence Lily to drop her greedy habits while still surrounding her in a world of riches.  But, as I read on, Wharton keep mentioning Mr. Seldon whom Lily, from the beginning, desires a friendship with.  Mr. Seldon would be a truly suitable match for Miss Bart because he is not only well off, but can be disagreeable in conversation, which is an appealing characteristic to Lily.

      As Lily Bart indulges herself in the comforts of Bellomont, she feels a figure approaching.  Expecting to find Mr. Gryce, Lily is surprised by the presence of Mr. Lawrence Seldon.  I believe this unexpected event hints that Mr. Seldon will play a vital role in the fate of Lily.  Because of Mr. Seldon's dispassion for money, I really think he will be the cure to Lily's clouded mind of materialism.

No comments:

Post a Comment