
As I read on, I see that Edith Wharton uses Lily Bart's value system as an effective literary technique. Moreover, Lily looks on to finding new ways to gain wealth after losing Mr. Gryce to his engagement with Evie Van Osburgh. A determined Miss Bart decides to get involved in the stock market with the financial assistance of Mr. Tenor. Lily's consistently puts a great deal of thought into her actions and connections and how they will benefit her. "...perhaps I can get a tip out of him on my own account" (Wharton, 76). Even though Lily is presented with many kind offers, she always illustrates her scheming habits to better herself. Although receives many invitations to social events by her numerous friends, she values their social rank more than there friendship. Wharton seems to repeatedly mention Bart's system of money over morals. "When she ceased to amuse Judy Trenor and her friends she would have to fall back on amusing Mrs. Peniston; whichever way she looked she saw only a future of servitude to the whims of others, never the possibility of asserting her own eager individuality" (Wharton, 82). In truth, I find Lily's obsessive addiction to social- climbing sick and abrasive. I believe that Edith continues to write of Lily's value system to foreshadow either a complete change in her morals or a total downfall.
No comments:
Post a Comment