Looking at the cover of this piece, I can only guess that it displays the face of Gatsby. In support of my assumptions, I believe Gatsby's face appears the same color as the rest of the background to show that he, not only wants to blend with the scenery of busy New York, but is a minority wishing to remain unnoticed by the public. I can only guess that this mysterious man hides myself because of his untypical lifestyle. Because of the beliefs of the the people in this time, Gatsby may feel threatened as well as unaccepted.
Saturday, July 28, 2012
The Great Gatsby: Blog 1
Upon finishing the first chapter of The Great Gatsby, the actual character of Gatsby remain a mystery. Obviously, this character is one of significance due to the title of the novel. With the wording of author F. Scott Fitzgerald, I sense clues that hint of what lurks behind the mask of Gatsby. Not having the faintest idea if this is accurate, I predict that Gatsby is a self-made, wealthy black man. My reasoning for this is because of the conversation that takes place in the Buchanan home concerning "the rise of colored empires" (Fitzgerald, 12). Moreover, the Buchanans, believing they are of the dominant race, stress over the thought that "...other races will have control over things" (Fitzgerald, 13). I assume these opinions are stated to display this era's feelings toward minorities as condescending. Because of this discussion, the audience is led to believe that people of a lesser ethnicity are inferior to those of the white race. Also, earlier, the narrator, Nick, describes Gatsby as a man who lives in an expensive home. Apparently, many know of him, but few actually know him. With this, I really think Gatsby will be of color, which will shock many causing all stereotypes to vanish. This prediction is the only idea I have of what lurks behind the mystery of Gatsby.
Looking at the cover of this piece, I can only guess that it displays the face of Gatsby. In support of my assumptions, I believe Gatsby's face appears the same color as the rest of the background to show that he, not only wants to blend with the scenery of busy New York, but is a minority wishing to remain unnoticed by the public. I can only guess that this mysterious man hides myself because of his untypical lifestyle. Because of the beliefs of the the people in this time, Gatsby may feel threatened as well as unaccepted.
Looking at the cover of this piece, I can only guess that it displays the face of Gatsby. In support of my assumptions, I believe Gatsby's face appears the same color as the rest of the background to show that he, not only wants to blend with the scenery of busy New York, but is a minority wishing to remain unnoticed by the public. I can only guess that this mysterious man hides myself because of his untypical lifestyle. Because of the beliefs of the the people in this time, Gatsby may feel threatened as well as unaccepted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment