
In my opinion, I felt that
The House of Mirth was so-so. I have a feeling I will come to appreciate this piece of classical literature more with time. Overall, the life of Lily Bart, quite frankly, was extremely agitating. Lily always seems to have devious schemes on her mind. From the start, Lily "was too self engrossed" (Wharton, 19) to find happiness. This selfish character, not once took consideration of others thoughts and feelings. I found the mentioning of Lily's constant obsession with money to be too repetitive. Also, I feel Lily's efforts throughout the novel all go to waste as she kills herself, leaving behind Lawrence Seldon, the one man who truly loved her. Honestly, I just did not take away anything meaningful or lasting from this work. But as I suggested, I am hoping I can take something from this novel in the future.
"I ain't sayin she a gold digger, but...." -Kanye West
time zone check
ReplyDelete