
Book 1 of
The House of Mirth opens with Mr. Seldon feeling "a movement of revulsion from the last few months of his life" (Wharton, 147) as he walks the streets of Monte Carlo. Believing he is free from Lilly and the troubled package she come with, Seldon cruises the Mediterranean. I assume that Edith Wharton chooses this refreshing European setting for a few specific purposes. First, to put Lawrence Seldon and Lily Bart out of their element in a foreign country will make their reunion, although predictable to the audience, surprising and dramatic to the characters. Also, the audience is bound to claim the Mediterranean a peaceful getaway. Wharton uses irony in this setting to unravel more no-so calming dramatic, such as the inaccurate rumors of an affair going on among George and and Lily, when in reality Bertha started those untruths to spend more time with the young Ned Silverton. I predict Edith Wharton may do this to show that the mess Lily has made of herself is inescapable. I truly feel sorry for Seldon who cared so deeply for Lily, was disgusted by her dealings with money, traveled to Europe in hope of refreshing himself, and now is back to hearing of all the gossip involving Lily. Although strange to me, but common in this era, I hope Seldon finds strength and true happiness by marrying his cousin, Gerty Farnish. It is because she differs so much from Lily Bart that I believe Gerty and Seldon will actually make a good match.
No comments:
Post a Comment