Friday, November 16, 2012

Frankenstein: Common Assumptions

      After the first few chapters of the popular Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, I find myself totally taken back by the actual story line and other details of this popular piece of literature.  In our culture, the character of Frankenstein portrays a rather green, frightening, and bloodthirsty monster  These past few days have taught me that everything I knew about Frankenstein is, in fact, completely inaccurate.  Firstly, the big, ugly monster, commonly assumed as Frankenstein, is not actually named Frankenstein.  Also, this monstrosity of a man is a green creature that possesses "yellow skin scarcely covering the work of muscles...and hair was of a lustrous black and flowing" (Shelley, 35).  Overall, I am genuinely shocked by the story line of the text.  I honestly thought the creature was created by a hermit-like, mad scientist wishing to invent a being capable of extreme destruction.  My assumptions turned out to be the exact opposite of the reality of the story.  Actually Victor Frankenstein, a college student, with a hunger for glory, creates this monster on a college campus.  Instead of being proud like I simply guessed, Victor Frankenstein appears regretful and fearful of his creation.  These actual happenings have given me a new sense of the character called Frankenstein, and have created an eagerness to discover the outcome of Victor Frankenstein brainchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment