Wednesday, October 3, 2012
The Glass Menagerie: Portrait of Father Analysis
In The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams, the father of Laura and Tom is consistently mentioned in every scene. In the beginning, there is a portrait of the father "gallantly smiling, ineluctably smiling, as if to say, 'I will be smiling forever' " (Williams). In my opinion, since her husband's abandonment left the family financial and emotional ruin, I question why Amanda chooses to leave her husband's smiling face hanging in the house. I believe the father's image serves as a constant reminder of the family's problems. In greater depth, whenever Tom and Amanda argue, Amanda always points to the father as an object of blame. For tom, I predict he looks at the portrait as a way to happiness. I assume this because tom is surrounded by unappiness, so he recognizes the genuine joy in his father's smiling face. Upon finishing the drama, I see that Tom leaves his mother and sister to find the happiness that his father found outside of the home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment