Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night": Analysis

      In reading Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas, I sense a range of emotions conveyed in the writing of the poem.  Firstly, the narrator clearly believes in having a "rage against the dying of the light" (Thomas).  The narrator discusses how all men must not die without putting up a fight.  Moreover, although unavoidable, death must not be welcomed and embraced.  I predict that the writer's purpose for this piece is his dying father.  The speaker obviously fears death, which would ensure the absence of his father.  This narrator wants his father to fight tooth and nail so that death will not conquer the dying man without a challenge.  I feel this poem to be selfish in the most understandable of ways.  The work is selfish due to the writer wanting his dying father to fight for life strictly because the writer himself cannot seem to bear a life without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment