Wednesday, October 31, 2012
"Bartleby, the Scrivener": Characterization
From the beginning of Bartleby, the Scrivener by Herman Melville, the narrator presents the character of Bartleby as one of such importance and fascination that "no materials exist for a full and satisfactory biographies of this man" (Melville). The speaker clearly places this scrivener aside not just from others in that profession, but aside from humanity. Upon reading the first page of this piece of literature, I await a heroic tale about the momentous Bartleby. However, as advance in my reading, I come to learn that Bartleby is not outstanding, but was merely hired for his calm and passive attitude. Being the farthest thing from outgoing, Bartleby eventually stops doing his duties as a scrivener. As the speaker continuously tries to help him in any way possible, Bartleby, each time, refuses with a "I would prefer not to" (Melville). It is in this way of refusing any kind of assistance that reveals a strength in this character. In end, Bartleby the Scrivener dies of starvation. This means of death, in my opinion, just affirms the true weakness of Bartleby. I find myself confused in why the narrator opens the work with a great and noble tale of Bartleby when, in reality, he proves to decrepit and passive character whose only strength in refusing much needed help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment