
I finally have finished the well-known classic,
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger! After my book discussion over the second section of the novel with my group, it became very clear that the characterization of Holden Caulfield made the work frustrating and even undesirable. As I continued this piece of literature, I kept waiting for there to be some sort of mind boggling twist, and unexpected turning point. My group and I even compared
The Catcher in the Rye to be similar to
Napoleon Dynamite, because of the lack of a concrete plot line. However, having completely finished the work and actually had time to think about the final events of the story line, I have a differing opinion of the literature. When Holden's uneasy behaviors cause him to drift from place to place, he ends up at the house of a dear teacher, Mr. Antolini. Mr. Antolini "was a pretty young guy... and you could kid around with him without losing your respect for him..." (Salinger, 174). While chatting with Mr. Antolini, Holden's atrophy becomes the topic of discussion. Mr. Antolini's turn from being the young, cool teacher to a firm adult occurs when he speaks to Holden saying, "This fall I think you're riding for- it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to hear or feel himself hit rock bottom. He just keeps falling and falling" (Salinger,187). This complete change in tone allows the reader (well, at least it did for me) to see that Holden's struggle is something that he really is not even aware of. Holden's unstable mental condition is digging him into a hole that doesn't even know he is in. Later on, in this discussion, Mr. Antolini suggests that Holden keep record of his troubles so that maybe one day, someone can learn from his story. And this is exactly what
The Catcher in the Rye is. Holden Caulfield is merely telling his story. "It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry" (Salinger, 188). Although Holden's record is frustrating and sometimes difficult to understand, it is life, his story, nothing more. I think if I were to write a novel about my own life, it would not have an incredibly big twist or dramatic ending. It would just carry on with various events, some good and some bad. For anyone willing to read this fantastic piece of literature, it is key to have an open mind, accept the history of the matter, and simply read the story of Holden Caulfield.
No comments:
Post a Comment