
Nearing the end of
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Holden, after days of pointlessly wondering the dreary sides of New York City, Holden Caulfield decides to return home. Here, I meet Phoebe Caulfield, Holden's saving light. Even from the beginning, Holden talks Phoebe up to be the most amazing and down to earth child there is. After meeting here character, I find she truly lives up to Holden's lengthy and incredible descriptions. Phoebe is unbelievably mature for age, enthusiastic, intelligent, unique, and witty. Phoebe clearly seems to be Holden's most trusted member of the family. When Holden sneaks into his household to see his sister, the audience also learns what Holden means to Phoebe. Upon breaking the news of his expulsion from Pencey, Phoebe repeatedly tells Holden that "Daddy's gonna kill you" (Salinger, 166). Although this greatly agitates Holden, I see that Phoebe wholeheartedly is concerned for what Holden's future holds. After leaving the house, Holden decides to pack up his bags and start anew somewhere in the West, seeing his family only in the distant future. But, first, Holden must say one last goodbye to Phoebe. When Phoebe appears at the museum with her bags, I think that Holden is really affected that Phoebe wishes to go West with him. I predict that Phoebe cannot bear the fact of Holden being forever lost out West by himself, and that is why is decides to go with him. Upon seeing the Phoebe packed for his own personal journey, Holden becomes vivid. Holden's anger stems from the idea of someone disrupting his plans for a life of solitude. Overall, it is Phoebe that persuades Holden to stay and New York and not give up on the life placed before him. If not for this bright, young girl, Holden Caulfield would be far out West.
No comments:
Post a Comment