Wednesday, February 27, 2013
"My Mistress' Eyes": Concrete Details
In My Mistress' Eyes by William Shakespeare, a man describes the odd appearance of his lover. Shakespeare uses concrete details to give the reader a more clear looks into the rare features of the woman. To start, as I begin the piece, I think the man despises his wife. In greater detail, in every detail given, the speaker claims his lover does not meet up to the beauty of the object he is describing. Also, the speaker describes wires and compares them with the woman's hair. This concrete detail brings to mind the image of a prickly object, which, in no way, is a compliment to this woman. So, the speaker continues to describe his wife as less than beautiful. By this point, I have a picture of the world's ugliest woman in my mind. However, the end of the world reveals a change in the speaker's mood. The man thinks his lover to be "rare and beglied with a false compare" (Shakespeare). I find this truly touch, and with this, my opinion of the work is suddenly altered. Although, the various concrete details given, it appeared the man to be insulting the woman, he is actually telling of her exquisite rareness that holds beauty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment