Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"How I Met My Husband": Personal Opinion

      What an unexpected yet lovely twist to wrap up the short story, How I Met My Husband by Alice Munro.  To start, I actually thoroughly enjoyed this piece of literature.  Personally, I am often a sucker for love tales involving a beautiful youth falling for the new comer in town.  However, my admiration for this stranger, Chris, vanishes upon hearing of his engagement, to the obnoxious and quite unappealing Alice.  Moreover, Chris has one side where he is in a committed relationship, and another where he prey upon naive farmer girls with unrealized beauty.  I truly pity Edie for her unfortunate encounters with Chris.  First, Edie is drawn in to a man who find her "so nice and beautiful" (Munro).  Then, each day, Edie waits eagerly for a letter that will never arrive.  I find it so clever how the author works the mailman into Edie's life.  He is clearly the better choice for this heartbroken dame.  In greater depth, Edie feels no pressure when speaking with this mailman, receives compliments with the luxury of applying pounds of makeup first, and is asked out on a date with a true and honest gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment