After reading A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry, I find a vital object of symbolism in this American Drama. I believe that Lena's plant symbolizes her hopes and dreams for a better life. This symbol also shows the hardworking attitude and dedication Lena has for her family. For one, Lena and Big Walter deemed their first house a temporary home until they could make enough money to move into a bigger one. Lena and her husband are unable to rise from this surrounding poverty. In this house, Lena yearns for a garden, but instead has a little old plant. When talking about her dream of a garden, Mama claims that the little plant "is the closest (she) ever got to having one" (Hansberry). So, even when Lena is immersed in an impoverished environment, her intense sense of hope lives on. Lena claims that this plant will survive in the poorest of soils, but will blossom in better conditions. I assume that like the plant, Lena's family, although living in poor conditions, has the potential to do great, admirable things.
Thursday, September 13, 2012
A Raisin in the Sun: Symbolism
After reading A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry, I find a vital object of symbolism in this American Drama. I believe that Lena's plant symbolizes her hopes and dreams for a better life. This symbol also shows the hardworking attitude and dedication Lena has for her family. For one, Lena and Big Walter deemed their first house a temporary home until they could make enough money to move into a bigger one. Lena and her husband are unable to rise from this surrounding poverty. In this house, Lena yearns for a garden, but instead has a little old plant. When talking about her dream of a garden, Mama claims that the little plant "is the closest (she) ever got to having one" (Hansberry). So, even when Lena is immersed in an impoverished environment, her intense sense of hope lives on. Lena claims that this plant will survive in the poorest of soils, but will blossom in better conditions. I assume that like the plant, Lena's family, although living in poor conditions, has the potential to do great, admirable things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment